Books have been written about search engine optimisation, both on page SEO and off page SEO and it does indeed get quite complex when you get down to the detail issues.
- Use good keywords. The success of all your SEO activities depends on the choice of keywords. There is no point in trying to rank for keywords dominated by large companies unless you have plenty of time and can match their spend. You need to find keywords with a reasonable search volume that do not have too many competitors. One simple way to find keywords is from Google Suggest. Type something relating to your niche and it will give you some suggestions based on past searches. Search for these (in quotation marks) and see how many results come back and look at the sort of sites on the first page of the search results. If you see sites like article directories it indicates that you will be able to rank for that keyword without so much work. Having chosen you keywords spend time getting your on page SEO as good as possible. This will pay dividends later.
- Get a good domain name. For on page SEO purposes you should select a primary keyword and include it in your domain name (at the begining is preferable).
- Select a keyword for each page post and include the keyword in the URL of the page/post e.g. http://yourdomain.com/keyword.
On each Page/Post write the content with on page SEO in mind:
- Include the keyword in the page title – at the beginning is preferable.
- If at all possible include the keyword in the Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 tags
- Ensure that the keyword appears in the first and last sentence and between such that it is between 2 and 4% of the content (i.e. if there are 400 words on the page then the keyword should appear at least 8 times). However, don’t over do this on page SEO, Google will penalise “keyword stuffing” and always remember that the text must still be valuable and readable for humans.
- Use at least one internal link to another page on your site with your keyword as anchor text (i.e. the clickable text).
- Use at least one external link to a page on another site. Be careful as this is where you could compromise your on page SEO work. Sites linked to must be trustworthy in the eyes of Google i.e. must not be involved in dubious off-page SEO techniques. If in doubt it is safest to list to reference sites like Wikipedia or article sites like Ezine Articles.
- Include an image and put the keyword in the Alt Tab.